Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Georgia Jewel 35 miler Race Report

It's been a while since I did a race report, but I just started my taper for Grindstone 100 and I thought this race I just completed deserved some love.

If you are thinking about a race at the end of your summer training cycle, then think no longer and sign up for the Georgia Jewel as soon as possible. I promise you that you will not be disappointed. The race directors are top notch and truly care for each and every runner. They are not there to collect a race fee and give a high five. They are there to give you a great race experience and encouragement to reach your goals. The volunteers were incredible with wonderful aid stations. The trail is also a good challenge for the beginner to seasoned ultra runner. So do your self a favor and sign up for the Jewel next year!

With that being said I will tell you how my day went and also some more specific description of the trail for those of you that like to know what the trail will be like before you run it.

Start to John's Mtn. (0-7.5)

The Georgia Jewel 35 miler is a point to point adventure that starts at the Dry Creek trail system in Northen GA and follows mostly the Pinhoti Trail to the Convention Center in Dalton, GA.


Because it is a point to point, you meet at the finish and take a bus to the start. We were told that the buses would leave promptly at 6am and the 50 milers would start at 700am while the 35 milers would start at 715am.

I got to the race finish at about 5:35am and gathered my gear together, put on socks and shoes then took care of my pre-race business. Upon exiting the porta-john, Franklin, half of the race directing couple known as "Team Baker", told me that I could ride in his truck to the start with the rest of our "Crew" that was running, Nick Horvath and Jeremiah Lackey (who was running the 50 miler).
"Carpool Karoke" Photo by Jobie Williams


While the buses left on time, we didn't arrive on time. Evidently the buses following us had the speed of a old golf cart. The country roads trip that should have taken 35-40 mins took well over an hour. Needless to say the race got started late.

We all exit our vehicles and then one of my favorite parts of Ultra running is seeing who all is there. Giving last minute "good lucks" and "you will do great" to running friends, Facebook running friends that I finally meet in person, and brand new friends.
James, Felix, Jeremiah, Nick before the start.


Team Baker gathers everyone together and gives the finally instructions before Jenny sends off the 50 mile group and tell us that we are going to start in just a couple minutes.

Team Baker with the last minute instructions



3...2...1... and we are off.

The race starts at the Dry Creek Trail System that is multiuse and very popular with horseback riders. The 35 milers wouldn't be using these trails hardly at all, but instead we turn right on the gravel service road and take that to join the Pinhoti trail.

Start of the 35miler leaving Dry Creek (Photo by Jobie Williams)


The gameplan for the day was to just take it easy and not race. I wanted to dial in a fueling strategy for Grindstone and just test out things while getting some time on feet. I was going for a special DNF type race, Do Nothing Foolish.

After a quick turn to the right and a water crossing, the first climb begins. Nick and I were running up the hill on the service road and I mentioned that we can hike this if he wanted to. After a few more seconds I decided to hike it and he decided to race, I wouldn't see him again until the finish where he was already changed having come in 4th. I pulled my headphones out of my pack and walked for a few more minutes being passed by several people before I decided to run again.

Photo by Jobie Williams


The first 4 miles are all service road before turning on to pretty non technical single track that continues to wind up to John's Mountain. Along the way up to John's Mountain which is the highest point of the race and the best view too, I met a few other runners. Molly was from the Atlanta area and had run this race a few times before. We ran close to each other till we got to the next aid station where I went to take a picture and also get a pancake. This aid station was run by the Scenic City Trail Runners. They are a wonderful group of people and runners that plan weekly runs in Chattanooga and encourage the community in a great way. Can't say enough good things about these people!

The SCTR Super Heroes with Felix Chea 


John's Mtn to Snake Creek (7.5-17.3)


View from John's Mountain


Upon leaving the Superhero's Sanctuary of John's Mountain Aid station the course also leaves the Pinhoti trail for the first time and follows the John Mountain trail down to the Keown Falls trailhead. This trail is the most technical that we have been on so far in the race. It is rocky, rooty and there were some recent blow downs to navigate through. The sun was starting to come through the trees now. I made my way down the stone steps and across more rocks and technical terrain before coming out at the next aid station in the parking lot of the trail head. I refilled one bottle with tailwind and another with water and ran down the road.

Just a little technical coming off John's Mtn (Photo by Jobie Williams)


At the aid station I had caught up to two other runners and followed behind them for a bit until there was a gravel road climb where they walked and I ran. It was about that time that a car came down the road and the driver gave some encouraging words. It was Josh Tilford who was out cheering, crewing, and photoing his wife, Kellye for her first ultra.

After crossing Pocket Road, the Pinhoti goes past Pilcher's Pond and onto to some of my favorite section of trail for the race. It wasn't anything special but just nice single track and I was feeling really good. This is also when I started seeing the 100 mile runners. I knew some of them and would shout out their name as they passed by trying to give them all the encouragement I could, knowing they would have a long day.

I passed by the spot that Nick and I ran an aid station last year and began to climb to the next ridge line and along the way I caught a few more runners. This part of the trail is not very technical but it does climb for a while. Once I got to the top and started heading down a little bit one of the 100 milers complained, "You guys got it easy, it's all down hill for you." I just snickered and told him that he was looking strong.

After some quick and smoother downhill switchbacks I was at the next aid station called Snake Creek. This station was run by the RD for No Business 100 and I introduced myself and got a refill on water and tailwind. I didn't stay long and I didn't eat anything they had to offer, just pushed on up the next hill.

Snake Creek to Dug Gap Power lines (17.5- 32.9)

At the aid station I had caught up to two more runners. The single track rocky and rooty trail immediately climbs for nearly 2 miles and I ran past the first and started to make my way towards the next. There were some backpackers up on the trail too as I got up to the top of Mill Creek Mtn. The sun now was full blast and the temperature was rising. I came across another runner and some day hikers as the trail started to descend. This is a very quick and smooth down hill that brings you down to a little creek crossing. You can stay completely dry but the same creek crosses the trail 3 times. I took a few seconds each time to splash my face and wet my hat. I was almost out of water and I had a couple more miles at least to the next aid station. At the last little creek crossing, as I was wetting my hat, the guy I had passed going up from the last aid station had caught up. We discussed about how much father the next aid was going to be and we both pressed on till we got to Stover's aid station.

This aid station was run by some friends of Franklin and Jenny that were from Cincinnati. They were awesome. I was bone dry so they filled one bottle up and I guzzled it while they filled up the other two. I changed my shirt and took car of some other house keeping items. I loaded my pack back up and headed out just a few seconds behind the other guy. I decided to run up to him so we could hike up the gravel hill together to the single track turn in to the left.

I introduced myself. His name was Joe and he was from Florida. After talking for a few minutes I realized that he had ran with Nick earlier in the day. We shared some stories and such for about 45 mins. That is one of the best things about trail running, the trail conversations. I pulled away from him somewhere on the ridge line.

This section of trail from Stover's to Dug Gap is some of the most technical continual trail for the day. It is very rocky, so much so that some call it a rock garden. I don't consider it like the rock garden at Mullen's Cove or the one at the lower end of the Fiery Gizzard trail, but every time I run it, it gets rockier.

I was about out of water again when I got to the Lonely Water Aid. This was an unmanned aid station but still awesome. The RD had some how got gallons of water on top of this mountain in the middle of no where, and it was a wonderful oasis in the heat. I filled up bottles and dumped some on my head and down my back and then continued on my way. I was just lazily running along trying not to stub my toes on the rocks when I saw a couple shirts in the distance. Suddenly I got some energy and tried to chase them down. Before I got to the gravel road down hill I had passed both of them and saw another half way down the hill. I ran down in full sun towards the last aid station.

The Dug Gap Power Line Aid was being manned by no other the Vegan Corey. He game me news on Nick that he had been in an out quick and was about 40 mins ahead of me, meaning that he had already finished and in 4th place! So much for not racing. I filled up and was on my way down the beautiful power line cut for the finals miles of the race.
View of the last Aid Station and the Power Lines (photo by Jobie Williams)


Power Lines to Finish (32.9-35ish)

The end of the race is easy (except for one little part). You can bomb down hill past the power lines into the woods then down to a road that you turn right on. You continue down hill on the road and start to hear Interstate 75 on the other side of a tree line. You turn left down a smaller country road and head back into the woods. It was about this time that I texted Nick to congratulate him and let him know that I was almost done. He said just wait for the hill! It was then that the road I was on started to go up, it wasn't a steep or extraordinary long hill, but I did walk a lot of it. Then it goes back down the road ends into the guys house where there is a sign telling us to run through his yard. Then the course joins another broken concrete road and makes a turn to the left. That is when you see the hill that was aptly named by Nick, Mt. Baker. It is only .10 of a mile in length but it is straight up! I am surprised that when they paved it with concrete that it didn't all just slide to the bottom and form a big pile of concrete rocks. I tried to run it, but that only lasted a few seconds. Then it was hands on knees hiking up about ready to crawl. It took me 3:22 just to get up that 1/10th of a mile! What a way to end an ultra marathon.
Here is a pic of Jim struggling up to give you a reference (Photo by Jobie Williams)


Once I crested the top I felt like I was flying towards the finish. Of course anything feels fast once you have crawled up a hill of that magnitude. I made the turn and saw the finish line and came in 10th place with a time of 7:24. I was pleased that my day went well with no problems and that I got a solid last training run in.

Finish! (photo by Nick Horvath)


Some people are drawn to certain races because of the course or because of the views. Some people may be drawn by the swag or the awards. The thing that separates this race from others that I have done is truly the people. The RD's, the volunteers, and the runners were all incredible. It was like one big encouragement and love trail fest at the Georgia Jewel. I can't recommend this race enough. I know the Jewel will be on my race or volunteer calendar for next year too!

Gear List:
Hoka Challenger 3's
Salomon Vest Set 8
Swiftwick Pursuit 4in
Several bottles of Tailwind
6 packs of Honey Stinger Chews
1 pack of Cliff Shots

Strava Data: https://www.strava.com/activities/1198254092

Relive: https://www.relive.cc/view/1198254092








No comments:

Post a Comment